A poultry research laboratory has been established within the Ethiopian Institute for Agriculture research (EIAR) to process field samples and identify the endemic diseases affecting Ethiopian village chickens. The laboratory is based at EIAR’s Centre for Poultry Excellence in Debre Zeit (~50 km from Addis Ababa). Positioning of the laboratory at this site fosters interactions between UK researchers and Ethiopian poultry specialist, adding to the longevity of the laboratory by providing training in poultry diagnostic to EIAR staff.
This BBSRC funded laboratory was established in May 2011, aided by a considerable donation of laboratory equipment by Roslin Institute, The University of Edinburgh.
Current laboratory capabilities include:
– Viral diseases: Infectious bursal disease virus (Gumboro), Marek’s disease virus
– Bacterial diseases: Fowl Cholera (P multocida), Fowl Typhoid (S enterica gallinarum)
• Haemagglutination inhibition assay
– Newcastle disease virus
• Coprology: Eimeria, Nematodes, Cestodes
• Ecto-parasitology: Ticks, mites, fleas, Lice